Make a Donation
VOLUNTEER! SPOTS AVAILABLE IN ATX
Our 16th Annual Handbags for Hope campaign ended April 21, 2023. Thank you to everyone who donated! And huge thank you to our 2023 Shipping Sponsor, Methodist Hospital Specialty and Transplant!
Collecting new and like-new handbags, gender-neutral totes, and diaper bags for survivors across Texas. This campaign helps to lead those experiencing power-based abuse to safety and free legal and social services.
Currently, TAP is in need of nearly 4,000 new and like-new handbags, gender-neutral totes, and diaper bags from the community to have another successful year. Each bag is fitted with a discreet tag that lists TAP's toll-free legal line 800-374-HOPE, safety planning information, and information about our free life-saving legal and social services. All bags are then distributed to shelters, clinics, and crisis centers across Texas.
WAYS TO GET INVOLVED
- Host a Drop-Off Location, Drive, or Collection Event | If you'd like to participate as a drop-off location, or host a drive or collection event fill out our Handbags Collection Form by March 3, 2023.
- Public Drop Off Location: Set up a large box in a prominent area with our Bin Poster attached so the public can drop off their bags.
- Private Drive/Collection Event: Host a workplace drive, lunch or happy hour with friends, etc., where attendees can bring bags and/or cash donations!
- Donate a Bag | Donate a new or like-new handbag, diaper bag, or gender-neutral tote bag at one of our official Public Drop-Off Locations (see map below)! If you are outside of Central Texas and the locations listed aren't feasible, please email us - [email protected] - to arrange a shipment.
- Volunteer Your Time | Prepare Handbags for Hope for shipment! Fill bags with safety planning information, information about our free life saving legal and social services, and a discreet tag that lists TAP's Legal Line. Contact [email protected] for more information
- Too busy to shop? | Make a donation to help pay for shipping costs of sending Handbags for Hope to shelters, hospitals, clinics, and more!
For questions or more information email [email protected].
PUBLIC DROP-OFF LOCATIONS
A handbag or tote represents something deeply private to its owner − a kind of survival kit for life in a modern world. For those experiencing power-based abuse, it may also serve as a life-saving utility. Nearly 46,000 bags have been distributed to survivors across Texas since the campaign launched 16 years ago.
For the first time in 2019, TAP began distributing bags to hospitals, making them available to survivors of rape. After a survivor goes through a rape exam they often have to leave behind clothing and belongings, an extremely dehumanizing experience. Leaving the hospital with your belongings in a new bag versus a plastic bag, not only gives some dignity back, but also hope and trust in the agency’s free services.
In 2021, in addition to the hospital and sexual assault service expansions, TAP began serving new parents and caregivers by collecting and processing brand new diaper bags. These diaper bags contain the same legal toolkits and are distributed to healthcare partners for their patients. This expansion hopes to reach at-risk moms-to-be as pregnant women are particularly vulnerable to domestic abuse.
Make a Donation