Title: Legal Assistant
Reports to: Managing Attorney, Senior Paralegal
Department: Client Services
Job Type: 20 Hours – Non-Exempt
The part-time (20 hours per week) Legal Assistant is responsible for assisting the paralegals and the rest of the legal department with administrative work. The primary responsibilities consist of processing mail, basic client correspondence, e-filing, and file maintenance.
This is a hybrid remote position. Applicants must be able to regularly commute to our office in Austin (78731). Most work is done remotely with occasional in-office work on a rotating schedule. During the initial training period, more frequent in-office hours will be required.
Applicants must be proficient in spoken and written Spanish.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- File maintenance: prepare, send, and process basic client correspondence; scan physical documents and/or save digital documents into the appropriate digital files and store/file them as directed; prepare and e-file approved documents in new and existing cases as required by the local rules of the jurisdiction.
- Record keeping: review and process intake packets and any received documents into our regular work flow; log work on our case tracking software and calendar follow-up dates and deadlines according to protocols and attorney instructions.
- Administrative functions: process incoming and outgoing mail as directed, including scheduling and picking up mail from the post office nearest the TAP office, or the FedEx facility nearest their remote work location, should it be required.
- Drafting: draft motions, pleadings, notices, requests, petitions, and instruction letters, as needed.
- Communication: communicate with clients, courts and any other agency related to a case as required by protocol or directed by attorneys.
All staff assists in overall office responsibilities including correspondence, working with volunteers, and basic office tasks. Some travel and working irregular hours including weekends is occasionally required for this position. This is a hybrid position- both remote and in-person. Applicant must be located in the Greater Austin, TX Area. Applicants must have reliable vehicle transportation. Business casual wardrobe is mandatory for in-office work.
Experience as a Legal Assistant strongly preferred. Ability to organize and prioritize workload. Ability to understand and follow written and oral directions. Must have basic computer skills and familiarity with database management and record keeping. Able to learn and work independently while also working well with others. Ability to provide trauma-informed customer-service in accordance with ongoing organizational trainings and principles. Proficiency in written and spoken Spanish required.
The Legal Assistant will have opportunity for growth and increased responsibilities as they demonstrate commitment and willingness to learn.
If interested, please send a cover letter and a detailed resume to [email protected]. Please type “Legal Assistant” in the subject line. No telephone inquiries, please. Open until the position is filled. Please indicate how you heard about the opening.
The Project and its Board of Directors supports the principles and spirit of equal opportunity based upon qualifications and related experience without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, veteran status or medical condition as defined in federal and state laws. Current Project employees may apply for any position openings in which they have an interest.
Texas Advocacy Project is a smoke-free work environment.